Blog is mantained by:

Angela Waters
angela dot waters at gmail dot com

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The adventures continue...

Dear Family and Friends,

Once again, another week has passed. I've decided that I should just get used to the mission being an amazing experience, but each day something amazing happens and I can't help it. The Lord's hand is in everything and it is so apparent in the lessons we teach and the people we meet. It's...amazing! :)

I guess the biggest news of this past week is that I had my first baptism as a missionary and it was an experience I will never forget--mainly because of the story that goes along with it. Sister Youngberg and I showed up at the chapel to fill the faunt. Someone else was supposed to do it, but he wasn't concerned with the fact that it takes three hours to fill it up. Since we had to be at the chapel early for a meeting and were very worried about the time issue, we offered to do it ourselves. After racing to the church, there was only two hours to set up before the ceremony started. (I should probably mention that the Spanish branch had had a fiesta planned for several weeks and the date was the same as our baptism.) We walked into the room to set up chairs and immediately stopped. The room was decorated in a Mexican theme with balloons, tables, streamers, sound system, and dance floor all set up. After making a few calls, the only option left was to take it all down, move it to another room, and pray that people would be willing to help us set it back up after the baptism.

The ceremony was wonderful and Monica was glowing when she came up. She also set the speed record for a girl changing out of the baptisimal clothing. After everyone left, a few people helped us to set the party back up, but they did very quickly so they could continue with their Saturday. Once they left, Sister Youngberg and I set it up according to our standards and left with the knowledge that every balloon was in place.

There is one member in our ward who has done wonders when it comes to missionary work. It'll make you laugh to know that his name is Jack Rassmussen. He is a convert to the church and his testimony is stronger than anyone I've ever known. If you read Alma 10:6-12, that is his story. He was a drinker, smoker, and everything else you can imagine, but gave them all up cold-turkey and has not regreted it once. He cannot do enough for the missionaries or people in general. Every ward needs a member like him.

Sister Youngberg and I were out tracting on Sunday and came to an apartment complex where we met a man named Paul. We started to have a discussion with him about our Heavenly Father and baptism. Mainly, we just followed were the spirit led us. We talked for about an hour and then asked for a return appointment. To our surprise, he said no. He said that if he's ment to hear our message, he'll meet us again and know that it's fate. In the car, Sister Youngberg and I started plotting ways to talk to him and even went so far as to decide that we would tract the whole complex. We know that he felt the spirit and could see that it took a lot for him to give us the "serendipity" line. I have no doubt that we'll be meeting him again very soon.

I think I have time for one more story. In a previous letter, I told you about two of our investigators, Lynn and Cary. They are next door neighbors and it has been a blessing because they've been able to come to church together and addiction recovery. Lynn has a baptisimal date, but is being held back by her smoking addiction. Yesterday, Jack came with us to a meeting with her and convinced her to give up her cigarettes cold-turkey. He knows exactly how she feels and his experiences helped the situation immensely. She handed them over and we threw them away. You can see it in her eyes how excited she is to get baptized and the spirit that is constantly with her. It was amazing to see this humble act of faith and the trust in her Heavenly Father that he will be with her throughout this struggle.

About an hour later, we met with Cary and committed him to baptism! He started talking about his addiction, but then told us that he gave it up six weeks before he met us! He was being prepared for the missionaries long before he met Sister Youngberg and I. Once again, the Lord's hand is in everything we do!

I am loving this area and life couldn't be as good as it is at this moment. The people are ready and we are more than willing to teach them about the wonderful plan that our Heavenly Father has for us. I love you all and pray that things are well with you!
To be continued...
Sister Sara

P.S. Watch the movie "Groundhog Day." It was filmed in Woodstock.

3 comments:

Karen U said...

Best friend!!! That is awesome that you had a baptism already....that is way exciting. keep up the great work. Love ya!

RoeH said...

How did you do that neat template? So pretty.

Michaela Stephens said...

Mormon nun, huh? Niiiice. Good like with your investigators.. :-)