Dear Family and Friends,
Another week has passed in the greatest mission on earth: the Chicago North. Along with that week, my one month anniversary of being in this mission also passed. My companion and I celebrated accordingly: a lovely slice of chocolate cake with raspberry topping. When it comes to the work, people keep telling me to "go big or go home home." However, when it comes to the amazing desserts and pizza this state has to offer, I'll be "going home big."
Last week I took my first trip to the Chicago temple to do baptisms with our recent converts and do to an endowment session with the other members of the ward. It was a wonderful experience for everyone involved. While we were doing the confirmations, I felt certain that a giant celebration was taking place on the other side as more people were given the opportunity to accept the true gospel.
We left the temple rather late so my companion and I stopped at Wendy's to get dinner. Several people who had just come from the temple were inside and stopped to talk to us when they noticed our name tags and offered to buy us dinner. The church may not be very large here, but the members we do have are amazingly kind. Here's a funny story to top off this event: a 12 year old hit on us. He said something to the extent of: "what a great evening. I got to go to the temple and now I get to talk with two very lovely ladies." My companion and I had a good laugh about it later on.
As you all know, we just had another session of General Conference. It's quite different watching it here than at home because all of the missionaries go to the church and watch the broadcast there. It's kind of nice because I know a nap would probably take place if I were watching it elsewhere.
I think my favorite talk was by President Monson in the Sunday morning session. He spoke of nothing being as constant as change. When it comes to my life, that is a complete understatement. I've been on this mission for almost two months and more changes have taken place than I can comprehend. I still miss the "outside world" but not to the extent that I thought I would. I'm realizing the things that really matter in this life and they have nothing to do with television, movies, fashion, or the new line of cars. This message that I am telling everyone about is what's really important. Not a day goes by that we get a "maybe later," but according to the Music Man, "if you pile up enough tomorrows, you'll have a lot of empty yesterdays."
This job that I have doesn't allow me the time to regret. When the spirit tells me to do something, I do it without any hesitation. We have so much, but do we realize it? When we get times that are hard to handle, we should take it because it's still coming from our Heavenly Father. The emotion we feel each day proves to us that we're living. Learn to be happy, despite the challenges.
Well, my time has ended so I must say, "to be continued..." I love you all and appreciate the prayers you send my way. I couldn't do this work without you. Hugs to everyone!
Sister Sara
Wednesday, October 8, 2008
Another week, another raindrop
Posted by Sara at 12:50 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
haha you are hit on even on the mission and by a kid! You are so cute and what you said is true. Life is good :) so why not be happy and make the best of it?!
Post a Comment